Romseyredhead

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Mail says vote Lib Dem!

Well, this is a turn up for the books.
Forced myself to spend 40p on a copy this morning because I was aware that there was a guide to tactical voting. Was amazed to read Edward Heathcoat Amory saying "in the seven seats where the Liberals are best placed, Tory voters should back Charles Kennedy".
Interestingly there was no advice about what to do in Lib Dem held seats with a Tory challenge.

DHA had an interesting premise and I quote

"The fact remains that many people, even those who will vote Labour, would like to see Mr Blair's majority dramatically cut. If this were to happen, the Tories and the Liberal Democrats would be revived. An "awkward squad" of Labour backbenchers would keep the Prime Ministers wilder ambitions in check and our democracy would be revived. "

This is the first time I have found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with DHA and it will probably be the last but if there is one thing I am clear about is that a large Government majority - of any colour, is unhealthy. It leads to arrogance and public disengagement. I have seen this under a Conservative government and I am seeing this under a Labour Government. Surely it is time to think more seriously about electoral reform.

Oh - and what the Mail is not saying directly - but comes across loud and clear is that the Tories are nowhere near forming a Government.