Romseyredhead

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

A lot more policemen

Trip to Members Lobby to do a radio interview was surreal. Policemen seemed to be lurking in the shadows everywhere and there were even two policemen standing by the entrance to the chamber.
It was a bit like one of those computer games that my son likes - where a presence suddenly looms at you out of the darkness - and it felt distinctly unreal.

For a start - a lot of the policemen were wearing the new visitors badges so how on earth did they know I was an MP and that I was meant to be there? I wasn't wearing my pass but did probably look as though I knew where I was going.

I was wondering what the point was so asked one of the the doorkeepers (not men in tights but the men who rushed into the chamber last time there was a disturbance) what the police could do that they couldn't.

"A very good question ma'am and one that I can't really answer!"