Romseyredhead

Friday, March 11, 2005

The final countdown

It's all over bar the assenting. As predicted at the parliamentary party meeting the Tories claimed victory on the Sunset clause (but strangely it was us who were talking to the Government this afternoon and my spies tell me the Government and Tories weren't speaking to each other). The Tories did not support us on the burden of proof argument so the result is that we have a Bill that should receive royal assent later tonight. It is not a perfect bill by any means but it is a darn sight better than the one originally proposed by the Government.

It now remains for me to pack up my laptop and head for home. I am really looking forward to a nice hot bath and a good night's sleep before trying to pack three days work into a two day weekend.