Romseyredhead

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Care Homes

Visited a local care home this afternoon. I visited all the homes in Romsey in 97/8 when I was Town Mayor and as I have done the rounds in the last couple of years it is apparent that the residents of Care Homes are now much frailer than they were in 97 and there is more evidence of early signs of dementia. Some problems never change though. I was greeted by a cheery nurse who told me that she was overworked and underpaid. It turned out that she had been at the home for over 20 years so it can't be all bad but I think the moral of this story is that not all people are motivated by money. It helps of course but it is really heartening when I come across people who are really keen to provide a service to others. It would be all too easy to take advantage of the people who work in the care sector but when I look at the pay scales I can't help thinking that, as a society, we do that already.