Romseyredhead

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Having a ball

Glad rags on for the Lib Dem Ball

What I enjoy about these occasions is the opportunity to catch up with a lot of people I have not seen in a long time.

Most bizarre point was reaction to Charles Kennedy's tartan trews.

Sycophants and those with an eye to the future made complementary noises.

Others, such as Sarah Teather, tried to make a virtue out of being honest (and saying they didn't like them)

I hadn't realised that they were new and were a talking point (until after the introduction line) but a quick poll of the girls revealed that we preferred kilts to trews although I am told that tartan trews are the smart thing to wear. This is probably true as Ming (absent last night) wears them - but he does rather look as though he was born in them.


And Charles?

Hey, as far as tartan trews go his were quite nice as they were a fairly subtle tartan and they did grow on me as the evening progressed but the truth is that I was more interested in his speech than his dress sense. Also, if people had come up to me and told me that "in the interests of an honest relationship" they felt duty bound to tell me that my dress was horrible I would have been upset.
It's a cruel world!