Romseyredhead

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Cisters

Very interesting conference in Southampton this afternoon - arranged by this group who provide support for adult women who are vistims of childhood sexual abuse. This particular conference was aimed at improving understanding among workers who might come into contact with this problem.
My role was fairly minor in chairing the afternoon session but I learnt a lot. I was delighted to see the Chair and the Chief Exec of the local mental health trust devoting the best part of their days to being there and I gained the impression that they had learnt a lot too.

This subject really does seem to be the last taboo and is rarely talked about publicly.

Chilling statistic: One lady announced that she was the newest member of the group, which is Hampshire based. Her membership number was 699 which leads me to believe that this problem is far bigger than many people dare think.